Its true...music analysis has been taking over my life. Everyday in July, I have spent countless hours staring at little notes on many pages trying to come to some sort of conclusion why geniuses such as Bach, Beethoven, Debussy and Brahms may have written each piece the way they did. This class has been a humbling experience for me because with each passing day, I realize that there is so much more about music that I don't know and what I think I know isn't really what these composers were really thinking when they penned these pieces long ago. Also, I realize that I need to work on my piano skills because trying to pound out even a few bars of these pieces has been kicking my butt.
On the positive note, I have made some great new friends in this class and I think this is because through trials, we get a little closer. We have laughed, some have cried, and tomorrow will be my triumphant end with my final presentation on Brahms's Intermezzo in E-flat. Its a beautiful piece but I must say that I won't be sad to say goodbye to it. So to all of you music majors who are thinking that you'll never take another theory class again, don't be fooled! Save your book and your notes because those will prove to be invaluable. Farewell theory class. Until we inevitably meet again...
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment