Last week, I purchased 2 trees for my birthday. Odd, you may think, that I would buy trees as a gift to myself, but we really don't have many in our yard. They are both quite small now, but the dear old man at the farmer's market said that the redwood would grow very tall and very wide. I thought, "This tree is perfect for us!" The second tree I bought was a weeping cherry tree which won't grow that tall (about 5 or 6 feet) but will look like a gorgeous flowering umbrella when full grown. So, yesterday Kyle offered to help me with these tree ventures and it turned out to be a major project. First, we had no pointed tipped shovel so I had to borrow one from my neighbor. Next, we had to figure out exactly where we wanted the trees. We decided to put the redwood in the backyard and we dedicated it in memory of Grandpa Cox. We are sure that it will grow tall and strong, and serve as a living reminder of the legacy that he left with us today. Kyle wanted to put the cherry tree in the front yard, so we did it. Seems done, right? Not really because I also wanted Kyle to help me dig a small landscape area on the side of the garage and transplant a bush from its currently crowded location the previous owners left us with. So, Kyle happily did this for me and we all learned a few lessons in the process: 1. Digging and uprooting really dense sod is a LOT harder than it looks, 2. Landscaping is not for wimps, 3. Shoveling up sod works a lot better when you use your foot to push the shovel on the sod for leverage, 4. Doing yard work together can really be a great time.
I am also happy to say that Kyle is buying me a new digital camera for my birthday. We haven't bought it yet, but I am so excited because this will be one that I will be able to carry with me everywhere and post lovely pictures often for you. Again I say, Kyle's the greatest!
Monday, July 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yippee for digi cams!
I am so thrilled you planted the tree in memory of Grandpa. Thanks to you both. Love ya both.
Post a Comment