Monday, October 15, 2007

What being an introvert means to the minds of sixth graders

So, today I was teaching my sixth grade general music class about Frederic Chopin, who was an extremely introverted composer of the Romantic Period. I first asked if anyone in the class knew what it meant to be an introvert. No response. Then I continued to explain how different people have different ways of getting energy and that extroverts get their energy from being around many people. Thinking that this was a decent explanation, I again asked the class where introverts might get their energy. One girl raised her hand and said confidently, "From sugar." The rest of the class agreed and it was all I could do to stifle a laugh. So that leads me to the question: Are we all introverts? A thought to ponder for a Monday...

1 comment:

Dave L said...

Hi Sara- well I guess some of the more thoughtful of us are introverted, but those of use who "just throw it all out there" are probably not as introspective as we should be. We just blindly forge on ahead. Does introspection and introverts go together? If so, maybe we should all be more self examining and thats a good thing.