Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Choir, babysitting and family...a good but crazy weekend

This weekend was full of all kinds of activities. Kyle is out of town on his annual ski trip which seemed to make the weekend and this week just a little crazier. After school Friday, I took 12 of my students to participate in a region-wide honors choir. We were one of 8 school districts to participate and although the late rehearsal Friday night and all day Saturday rehearsals were long, it was really fulfilling to work with competent and engergetic middle school singers. I was proud of how my students volunteered to help the host school and were carrying chairs to the rehearsal room before I even got there. I think that says a lot about the character of these kids and their willingness and eagerness to help. All in all, it was a good event and I think I may end up hosting it next year.

After the choir festival, I spent Saturday evening babysitting Cammie and Brogan while our friends Josh and Courtney went on a date to the Cleveland Orchestra. Before coming over to babysit, I went home and put on sweatpants and my glasses. I came over looking frumpy and happy to hang out with the kids. I gave them what I consider to be the fastest bath known to man (rinsing shampoo with 2 kids age 3 and younger is not an easy task). Cammie liked to take my phone and look at Kyle's picture. I think she has a crush on him. In case you forgot, she is 3. It was really cute. When she looked at his picture, she thought he was there to talk to her. THen we had to call him to say hi and she got on the phone and said, "Hi Kyle (long puse while she smiles to herself). I think Kiddis (my madeup nickname from Cammie) is sick. She is cold and has a blanket." I thought this was hilarious! My frumpy clothes and glasses made Cammie think I was sick. Then we watched Cinderella and I pulled her to her bedroom riding on a quilt. It was a good night had by all.

On Sunday, I drove down to Hudson to hang out with the Wilkes. We went to church together and then Sarah, Kate and I went o lunch and did a little shopping. We had some good laughs. I love going to their house and feel so thankful to have family here. Aunt Carol made us homemade lasagna which was really good and gave me 2 more meals worth to take home. I appreciate it very much.

Yesterday, interim grades were due at school and we had a staff meeting that was part of a 4 hour training on child abuse. It breaks my heart to be reminded through pictures and examples of just how many children in this country are suffering in the hands of their own family members. When they showed the pictures, they made me so sad that I almost started crying. Children and family are precious gifts from God and I will be keeping a more watchful eye on my own students.

No comments: