Today, I had the priviledge of leading the Fellowship of Christian Athletes group at the middle school where I teach. It was a really cool thing for me because up until this point, I haven't gotten the chance to talk openly with my students about my faith. Our topic today was music (how fitting!). We asked the students to bring in the lyrics to some of their favorite songs. After reading through the lyrics of the songs they chose last night trying to come up with where I wanted to go with the discussion, I wasn't tooo surprised to see that many of the songs they liked most have great rhythms and melodies, but the words were a bit vulgar.
I asked the students to share why they liked the songs they chose and many said that they liked the beat or the tune the most. I can identify with this so much. However, after further discussion, we came to the conclusion that whether we mean to or not, the lyrics stick in our heads - specifically the choruses to many of these songs. Therefore, what we listen to day to day really does stick with us whether we like it or not.
I shared with the students that I enjoy almost all styles and genres of music and that it is possible to experience God through music even if it isn't labeled specifically as "Christian" music at all. God has gifted each one of us differently and whether you experience Him through hearing hip hop or rock, He has used the creativity of these musicians to bless so many though song.
So, even though that talk went a few different directions, I think a few important lessons can be taken away: 1. Lyrics are easily memorized (be careful what you put in your memory bank), 2. We each experience the same song differently (and that is good), 3. Be open minded about how God might use music/musicians to bless your life.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment