Friday, February 22, 2008

My trip back to Hope





This past weekend, my college room mate Amy and I went back to Hope to give a short presentation to the current music education majors. We had such a great time! I woke up early on Saturday and drove to Amy's house in Detroit where I left my car and she and I drove to Holland. We walked around downtown on Saturday afternoon and then headed to Dr. Sharp's house where we stayed for the evening. The Sharps treated Amy and I better than family! They made us delicious food including chicken marsala, risotto, stir fried veggies as well as a home made pear tart. We each had our home room to stay for the night and our own bathroom. It was great! We stayed up eating and talking to them until after midnight. They taught us this great game with dice called Farkle. I can't wait to teach you!

On Sunday, Amy and I woke to the sound of choirs and organ music and the smell of frsh crepes. It was so wonderful to stay with the Sharps and they were so generous to extend the gift of hospitality to us. That afternoon, Amy and I talked for an hour and a half to the music ed. majors and shared some of the things we learned in our first two years teaching that no one shared with us before we started. My professor and coopoerating teacher, Mr. De Boer is now in charge of the Hope chapter of MENC so I got to see him too! I love mentoring students and I hope that this made them feel not only empowered but that they can call me if they need to vent about teaching. It was great to be back. Amy and I left Holland that afternoon and drove back to her house in Detroit. I drove back to Cleveland Monday morning and I am happy to say that my friend Amy is only 3 hours away. It was a really easy drive. Coming back to Hope couldn't have been better!

No comments: