Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grandpa






My Grandpa passed away last night. He was 87 years old and my dad said that it happened quickly and peacefully. I love him a lot and I will miss our conversations on my drives to school and the daily "I love you" to start my day. Kyle and I will be going to Kentucky on Thursday to be with my family and to celebrate the life of a man that I admire and love so much.

I always thought of him as the one who could open and fix anything. He carried a pocket knife everywhere he went and could always open the presents that Santa brought me. He could fix any appliance and told me stories of some of the tough times he had in the Army during WWII. I didn't even know that he was one of the first to land in Normandy until just last year. He taught me to fish and told me that he loved me all the time. He had a strong love for my Grandma and was still deeply in love with her when she passed away 6 years ago. I pray that my marriage has the strength their's did.

He was a man of few words but he is probably one of the strongest men I know. When I asked him whether or now he believed Jesus Christ is his Lord and Saviour, he answered, "I'm alright, Sarah. I'm okay." I trust that God knew his heart and my prayer is that I will see him again someday. I love you, Grandpa. I am so blessed to have had you in my life.

2 comments:

amberWIRE said...

Sarah,
This post really paints a beautiful picture of your wonderful gandpa for those of us who never got to know him. We're praying for you guys as you travel down to KY and for your family during these difficult days.
I love you!

Anonymous said...

Sarah- your grandpa was a very special person and thanks for sharing some of your memories of him with us. We pray that your time of grieving will bond your family together and help you treasure each other....